For optimal performance, Swagelok tube fittings:
- Take advantage of a stainless steel chemistry
- Are made from only high-quality raw materials
- Provide superior Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking (CSCC) resistance
- Are offered in a wide range of alloys to combat corrosion
- Can be used in engineered combinations
What's in Your Stainless Steel?
You can be confident we know what's in ours.
Chromium and nickel are critical for corrosion resistance and ductility in stainless steel. Swagelok has maintained chromium content in its fittings at a minimum of 17% and nickel at a minimum of 12% for many years.
10.1% nickel content 316 stainless steel nut from another manufacturer shows cracking after installation in a corrosive environment.
Start with a Higher Stock
We place multiple controls on procurement of 316 stainless steel from our approved mills, from its elevated alloy chemistry to the inspection steps used to validate it.
- This material is unique to Swagelok—it cannot be purchased by anyone else.
- Raw materials undergo extensive testing, including 100% ultrasonic analysis (identifies abnormalities) and eddy current testing (detects cracks).
Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking (CSCC) in 316 Stainless Steel
CSCC occurs where chloride concentrations and stress levels are present. No stainless steel is completely immune—another reason why raw materials matter.
We have performed extensive CSCC testing* on Swagelok fittings with exceptional results:
- Alloy 316 stainless steel nuts tested (Swagelok and eight other brands)
- None of the Swagelok nuts cracked or leaked.
- 39% of the other nuts cracked (at least one from each brand) and 2.7% leaked.
Alloys and Combatting Corrosion
Swagelok offers a wide range of alloys and works closely with customers to solve their needs for fittings with enhanced chemical and corrosion resistance.
Swagelok can engineer a cost-efficient and corrosion-resistant solution for installations exposed to seawater.
Elevated chromium and nickel levels in our fittings mean we can offer engineered combinations as a rated alternative to full exotic alloy solutions in certain applications.
Rather than a traditional alloy-to-alloy tubing and fitting combination, Swagelok’s innovative thinking combines 316 stainless steel fittings with 6 Moly, 904L, Tungum®, and Alloy 825 tubing.